Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

What you've all been dying to know...

What did I decide on the chairs??

First of all, I decided that I am not going to spend hundreds of dollars on chairs I don't love.  Unfortunately, all the chairs I do love will set us back several hundred dollars and we just can't justify it right now with wedding and honeymoon looming on the calendar.  To get us through the rest of the year (since our existing chairs will be sold with the matching tables) I started searching Craigslist and came across what I think is a heck of a deal.

We were able to buy four antique Queen Anne style chairs from England for $100 total.  We're guessing they're from the 1940s or 50s judging by the screws and materials used under the seat.  They're in good shape, except for the leather covering the seats.

Our plan is to re-stain the chairs to match the table (luckily I am marrying someone who knows how to do this) and then cover the seats in new foam and a modern fabric to create a mix of new/old in our dining area.

The chairs look like this, for the most part:



And I plan to find a patterned fabric to use on the seats and make them a little less classic looking.  This will be my challenge...


I think we can get these four chairs looking presentable for about $250, which is less than the price of one of the chairs I like at Crate and Barrel.  What do you think?  Am I being too ambitious?  Are there any good places I should look for fabric (besides Fabric Factory and Calico Corners in Dallas)?

Also, for perspective, I think these are the drapes I want for a window about 12 feet away from where the table sits.  I know if I get them, it will rule out a few of the options above.

3 comments

  1. Love the chairs and curtain! Can't wait to see pictures of it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could totally do it! I like top and bottom right fabrics. If you decide to go for it, make sure to post updates, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. off george bush and custer there's a shop called fabrique- it looks pretty fun! and its supposed to be fashion fabrics. also, if you need help reupholstering- let me know, i helped my mom do her b-fast nook chairs...and i can bring my own staple gun =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...